Sudheer Chava, Ph.D, is an associate director of the Institute for Information Security & Privacy for the area of risk management, and professor of finance at Scheller College of Business at the Georgia Institute of Technology. He also serves as finance area coordinator at Scheller and as the director of the nationally top 10 ranked Master of Science in Quantitative and Computational Finance (QCF) program at Georgia Tech (a joint program by the School of Mathematics, Industrial and Systems Engineering, and Scheller). Dr. Chava has taught a variety of courses at the undergraduate, masters, MBA and Ph.D. levels, including derivatives, risk management, valuation, credit risk, financial technology (fintech"), and management of financial institutions. He also has taught both theoretical and empirical finance doctoral courses and is faculty advisor to multiple doctoral students.
Dr. Chava's main research interests are in risk management, credit risk and financial institutions. He has extensively published on these topics in the leading finance journals such as the Journal of Finance, Journal of Financial Economics, Review of Financial Studies, Journal of Monetary Economics, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, and Management Science. His research won a Ross Award for the best paper published in Finance Research Letters in 2008, was a finalist for the Brattle Prize for the best paper published in Journal of Finance in 2008, and was nominated for the Goldman Sachs Award for the best paper for published in Review of Finance during 2004. Dr. Chava is the recipient of multiple external research grants such as FDIC-CFR Fellowship, Morgan Stanley Research grant, Financial Service Exchange Research grant, Q-group Research Award (2010, 2012) and GARP Research Award. He has presented his research at numerous finance conferences such as AFA, WFA, EFA, Federal Reserve Banks and at many universities in the U.S. and abroad.
Chava received his Ph.D. from Cornell University in 2003. Prior to that he earned an MBA degree from the Indian Institute of Management – Bangalore, an undergraduate degree in Computer Science Engineering and worked as a fixed income analyst at a leading investment bank in India. In 2014, he was awarded the Linda and Lloyd L. Byars Award for faculty research excellence at Georgia Tech and he has also received multiple research awards and fellowships at Texas A&M University.
1. Chava, Sudheer, Catalina Stefanescu and Stuart Turnbull, 2011, “Modeling Expected Loss”, Management Science, 57, 1267-1287
- Honorable Mention for the Best Paper award (Financial Services Section) at the INFORMS annual Meetings
- Paper was Presented at Derivatives Research Conference at FDIC, INFORMS Annual Meetings, BMBF Workshop on Credit Risk Management
2. Chava, Sudheer and Amiyatosh Purnanandam, 2011, “The Effect of Banking Crisis on Bank-Dependent Borrowers,” Journal of Financial Economics, 99, 116-135
- This paper won the FDIC-CFR Fellowship award
- Abstracted in World Bank’s Newsletter Interest Bearing Notes
- Paper was presented at Western Finance Association’s Annual Meetings, 2006, 42nd Bank Structure Conference at Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, 2006, European Finance Association’s Annual Meetings in Zurich, 2006, Systemic Risk Conference at Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, FDIC-CFR Conference in 2006, Financial Intermediation Research Society’s Meetings in Shanghai, 2006, Michigan State University, Texas A&M University, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC), Federal Reserve Bank-New York , Center for Financial Research at FDIC, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, University of Miami, Washington University, Arizona State University, Rice University and, University of Houston
3. Chava, Sudheer and Amiyatosh Purnanandam, 2010, "Is Default Risk Negatively Related to Stock Returns?”, Review of Financial Studies, 23, 2523 - 2559.
- Paper was presented at University of Texas at San Antonio, University of Houston, Texas A&M University, Utah Winter Finance Conference, 2008 and Derivatives Research Conference at FDIC, 2008
4. Do Bond Investors Price Tail Risk Exposures of Financial Institutions? (with Rohan Ganduri, Vijay Yerramilli and Linghang Zeng)
- GARP Risk Management Research Award, 2013
- American Finance Association Annual Meetings, 2015
- Risks of Non-Bank Financial Institutions Conference at Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, 2014
- Erasmus Credit Conference, 2014
5. Chava, Sudheer, Kershen Huang and Shane Johnson, The Dynamics of Borrower Reputation Following Financial Misreporting, forthcoming in Management Science
6. Chava, Sudheer, C S Agnes Cheng, Henry Huang, and Gerald J Lobo, 2010, Implications of Securities Class Actions for Cost of Equity Capital, International Journal of Law and Management 52, 144-161.